Wednesday, September 5, 2012


When my son was a little more than a year old, he came into my studio and immediately put his beautiful little hand into my palette of oil paint. Cleaning his delicate hands wasn't an easy task, on many levels. So I put away the oil paint and have been painting in acrylic for 5 years. Now I realize there are some things that you can't do with acrylic, and have brought out the oil paint again. I attempted a self portrait sketch in oil this morning. Oil is to acrylic what cotton is to polyester. Or what  Roosevelt's new deal was compared to the modern day stimulus packages.

4 comments:

  1. So true about oils! Love your painting style. Please continue to share your work!

    -Steph Reed

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, Paul! Keeping the faith in that Brahms art legacy that keeps making an authentic difference in our scene. I love looking behind the eyes and generations in this portrait. Viva the oil. Thank you for your generous gifts. Hang tight and carry on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good work Paul. totally agree about oil. acrylic just does n't move the same way. Luck with the blog. Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your paintings are awesome records of your talent for looking and seeing, and your devotion to light and color and form.

    ReplyDelete